the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disintegrating frogspawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disintegrating frogspawn
    Posted: 14 Mar 2004 at 6:52pm

I've had an enquiry about disintegrating frogspawn, this isn't something I've ever observed or have any idea as to why it should happen (other than unfertilized spawn), anyway, this is the full story, any suggestions appreciated.

I live on the Isle of Wight. For at least 10 years we have had frogs in our ponds, producing a lot of spawn, tadpoles and consequently frogs. Last year and this we have been having problems! Lots of frogs mating, copious spawn but after two weeks, the jelly just disintegrates, leaving undeveloped eggs to die. Is there a virus or is there something wrong with the water. We have fish in one of our ponds and they are healthy. This year we took some of the spawn out and put it in a fish tank with pond water. The same thing happened. The eggs do not turn white it is just the jelly that disappears. I hope you can advise

Further

The fish are not a recent addition, er have always had them. We have 2 ponds, one having no fish at all being attached to the other pond by a waterfall. Eggs are laid in both ponds. We have always, for many years, transferred spawn away from the pond with fish in and have been successful in raising frogs. This year almost all the spawn has disintegrated. We are left with undeveloped and partly developed eggs. We have put some spawn in a fish tank with pond water and the same thing has happened. We have had some fresh spawn laid this weekend which we have transferred to a bowl with tap water in it. I know this is not ideal but it is a last resort. Any help would be appreciated and you are welcome to forward either of the emails to whoever you think may help

petefran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petefran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2006 at 1:31pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Any solutions anybody?

Froggy Pete
Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2006 at 12:49pm

I had this problem a few weeks ago, in the pond in my families garden pond. The fringes of the frogspawn turned green and broke away from the rest of it, then sunk to the bottom of the pond.

They ended up in the mud at the bottom, never to be seen again...

The rest of the spawn developed and the little taddies are now swimming and developing quite nicely.

kateatcrowlas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateatcrowlas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 4:25pm

My problem this year has been with my toad strings.  Loads were laid over the end Jan-mid Feb period, as per last year, but every one ended up looking 'mouldy' in parts or over the whole.  I can only assume the eggs died, what I don't know is why they did.

I have had frogs in the pond in the same period, males and females as far as I can tell, but no frogspawn at all.

As a last resort I have weeded the pond (I say 'last resort' as I would have avoided interfeering with the pond once the breeding season had started) and I am still seeing both species but no eggs as yet.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 9:25am

On a golf course near where I live thereÆs a large man-made pond with carp in (it ainÆt supposed to have carp in, someone put them there for a laugh but they thrived in it and are happy ), anyway usually thereÆs tonnes of tadpoles but this year not one single tadpole hatched out!! There just ainÆt been not one little toad this year. IÆm thinking it was cos the pond got frozen up early on and killed the spawn, poor spawn.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic