the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogs spawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:20pm
Several clumps of my spawn are now at the comma stage, as against the full stop stage. I can't say it's warm weather that has spurred it on, as it's single figures most of the time recently. I guess these things are factored into spawn development.
Suz
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 1:07pm
Been quite a late year for development this year.
Still have about 2/3 of the tadpoles left that I keep separate from the main pond in a tub.
Don't know if they'll survive winter if they do complete their development now.
Reformed Teetotaller
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:00am
our small pond still has a large number of tadpoles swimming about - there is plenty for them to eat in there and the pond looks healthy with lots of daphnia, snails and weed, but for some reason they just haven't developed as normal. The tadpoles in the other pond all seem to have gone, although no doubt there are a few hidden away somewhere as it is very overgrown.
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 10:17am
Almost into November and still got half of my tub tadpoles left.
Pond ones seem to have all developed.

Edited by lalchitri - 28 Oct 2021 at 10:18am
Reformed Teetotaller
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 1:44pm
I know very little about this sort of thing but could it be the population density causing them to not develop at the normal rate - I am basing this on my experience of fish where they can become stunted if there are too many of them regardless of the amount of food available - this is clear in many small ponds containing huge numbers of small Roach and Rudd due to a lack of predators.
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:36am
Did I read once that tadpoles can secrete a substance that causes others to not develop, as a kind of self preservation thing? I think the overcrowding is a factor and can be connected to this survival of the strongest. My tadpoles, when I have any in a pond, seem to be split between some developing at the seasonal rate and some overwintering. However ones raised in containers in dense concentrations seem to benefit from the warmer shallower water and feeding (lettuce), but even so some develop much quicker than others. 
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic