the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a few pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:38am
A very pleasing range of fab shots as always Tim (unlike me, you do proper photography don't you? ) and it's nice to see you back. Was wondering where you were.
While it's good to give people encouraging feedback if you like a topic (otherwise how does one know if what one's posting is of interest), i think your inactivity is just par for the course for the age we live in, so i wouldn't feel bad. I didn't respond to Gemma's recent "Froggy Exodus" observation, even though i found it interesting and thought it deserved a reply. i don't get grass snakes so had nothing to add, but i could have at least said i enjoyed it or thanked her for sharing, but i didn't.
And remember actually phoning someone to speak to them, rather than the minimal effort of sending a heavily abbreviated text message? Or working out where you are by studying your hard copy OS map and carefully estimating tenths to get a grid ref? Taking note of landmarks en route when journeying to somewhere new to you so you could find your way home again...instead of using a sat nav and completely switching off!

Personally, i liked you 2nd adder shot best.

Cheers
Ben
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 1:36pm
It's definitely just a general change in things. I remember when observations such as 'Froggy Exodus' were really the life blood of this forum. We would all get talking about it. No one is to blame, just is the way things have gone on internet forums in general. I'm as guilty of not responding when I could and really in a way should, as anyone else. 

Trouble is one is less likely to post observations if it results in deafening silence, so it perpetuates to the point where a forum becomes almost dead and empty. Dead

You see now too a lot of people will join a forum, ask a question, they get the replies and do not even say 'thanks'. It is not really that I need 'thanking' but it would be nice to know that the person took the time to read the replies and they helped to answer the question.

Things have changed a lot.

Edited by GemmaJF - 15 Apr 2017 at 1:51pm
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 5:31pm
I am involved with several small history societies and spend time helping people with queries, usually of the nature of family history research. Some people are incredibly grateful, and appreciate how much time you've put in even if you can't exactly help them. Other people don't even say thanks - they don't reply at all!
I was speaking to someone who fields most of our queries and he says he has dealt with twenty so far this year with very little thanks. We have discussed charging for this help, which is a pity as we can also learn things about our local area from others at times. I subscribe to two genealogy websites and other people could do the same!
Have people really lost their sense of proportion and think everything on the Internet is free? Somewhere someone might just be putting in their time and effort to provide the help they want.

Edited by Suzi - 15 Apr 2017 at 5:33pm
Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:46pm
Thank you Ben for your kind observations. They are always appreciated. it amazes me how someone not involved in herpetology and ecology in general in a professional capacity can know so much and still be so modest about it. PS I like that pic best too :).

And Keith. You've seen it all yet you still find the time to post your observations and, more importantly in my opinion, offer encouragement and advice to those less experienced. And you do come up with the most priceless comments! 

Suzi. I've learned more from your posts about your garden observations, especially your newts and slowies (i had no idea they were active so late in the year and so early the following year) than I could possibly get from reading a book. And you too are so modest about your experiential knowledge.

And thanks Chubsta for the original message. Please keep posting. I may not always comment but always read everything with interest.

Chris...having thought about it, I'm pleased that this forum hasn't gone the same way as other social media. I don't know if you can keep it going but the fact that we have to do something other than click a button makes this a special place I think. And why don't you post more!?! You have everything in your back garden! Remember that just because you see it every day it doesn't mean the rest of us do! I would love to see more from you...if you have the time.

And Gemma...you have your moments and I really, really wouldn't want to be your enemy lol, but as far as I'm concerned there's no RAUK without Gemma...literally. And, although this is entirely anecdotal, I am pretty sure that the forum comes to life when you start posting again :). 

I have only mentioned people who have responded to my post. There are others who contribute regularly and I am always interested in everything they have to share so please continue. Special shout out to Will who again manages to present his extraordinary knowledge and experience with a real humility. Again Will, I would love to hear more from you too :).

well, there's always a choice. I can't promise it will last but today I've chosen not to go with the majority and take the time to do something different. By the way, I mean every word :)

Tim

Edited by GemmaJF - 17 Apr 2017 at 2:01pm
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:59pm
Hi Tom

I stand suitably corrected! Part of the problem is that I never have a camera with me and seldom think of using my allegedly smart phone (it's a device for receiving and making phone calls, isn't it?)

I must admit you are right about my garden. Quite apart from the large number of so-called exotics just in the course of doing a bit of pond and garden trimming today I have seen smooth, palmate and great crested, frogs and toads, tads of both, several slowworms, a couple of common lizards and one grass snake! (not to mention sand lizards mating in the viv (and since this is UK herps I won't tell you about the disgusting behaviour of some of the other lacertids!!)Wink

I really must learn to share more
All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:10am
wow Chris...that's a years worth of herping for me lol! 

I know what you mean about having the camera with you. I really have to go out with the specific intention of taking pics or I'm the same. 

tom

Edited by Tom Omlette - 17 Apr 2017 at 11:11am
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Tom Omlette Tom Omlette wrote:

And Gemma...you have your moments and I really, really wouldn't want to be your enemy lol, but as far as I'm concerned there's no RAUK without Gemma...literally. And, although this is entirely anecdotal, I am pretty sure that the forum comes to life when you start posting again :). 

Tim

I did say once after that repeated circular argument about getting licensed when working around herps turned rather personal and directed at me, that  I would happily go away again and the forum would die. I did and it did.

I know I can be abrasive at times. I always saw it that the animals cannot speak for themselves, so I would speak up for them. I can get away with it as an admin lol. 

Right from the beginning of RAUK I wanted to create interesting comment and discussion. One is not always liked for doing that for sure. 

I have wondered myself if I did the forum more damage than good down the years. We lost a lot of quality posters down the years and perhaps I should feel responsible in some way for that. Then I sort of think well perhaps some had more to hide than we will ever know and they found RAUK a bit too 'real'.

It is what it is though and thanks to Chris it has been here for a fair time now. Thumbs Up

PS Tim it says I edited your post above, don't know how I thought I was quoting it and realised I was actually in the admin edit option, I think I restored it back to how it was... ....oops

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:37pm
some people may find your extensive knowledge and passion intimidating but as you say that's their problem not yours. I'd be surprised if that resulted in experienced posters leaving though. that kind of lively debate seems par for the course on forums really. although i do wonder why so many have left over the years. I would always come here for advice rather than alternatives for example on Facebook. 
I'm lucky in a way that i am confident that if you express a different opinion to mine about ecology/conservation/herp matters then yours would be right lol so there's never been cause for a disagreement. 
By the way, i should have also mentioned in the original post that you are almost always the first to welcome new members and give comprehensive answers to any questions they have which makes you one of the most nurturing, helpful and supportive members too.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic