the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Yorkshire Adders w015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Lovely shots. Not many here who can't tell the difference between in-situ and posed shots, so I hope it wasn't anyone here having a pop at you.

Gemma

Not anyone here but a few on facebook sent messages relating to disturbance and believe it or not some questioned my observations in early February.

I am getting too long in the tooth to put up with some people.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:49pm
Lovely adder shots.
Had to laugh...Yorkshire....February...too hot by 10am.

Suz
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 10:21pm
The adders are much more hardy up north and come out much earlier than the books suggest. Our earliest sightings since we started doing surveys on the moors are virtually all in mid February and these are from different sites across the moors, so not always the same hibernation site or even individual animal. That said there are some sites that are always early  and the adders there can be out a good couple of weeks before any emerge at other sites.
Year Date first adder seen Days with snowfall in February Days with lying snow in February Average maximum temperature for February
2005 19th Feb 10 8 4.5
2006 18th Feb 6 5 3.9
2007 3rd Feb 2 3 5.9
2008 28th Jan 1 1 5.7
2009 19th Feb 9 15 3.5
2010 1st March 16 16 1.6
2011 11th Feb 1 1 5.4
2012 19th Feb 3 9 4.0
2013 17th Feb 10 10 2.3
2014 19th Feb 2 1 5.2
2015 17th Feb 4 10 3.8

The weather statistics are from my garden weather station at an elevation of 300 metres which is a comparable height to large parts of the moors where the adders are,  though the first ones seen this year are at about 375 metres. But I am on the White Peak plateau about 20kms south of the Dark Peak moors and the weather on the moors is always much, much worse.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:11am
Very interesting figures Chris.

If I've got this right - the coldest Feb (2010) had latest adder sighting. Warmest Feb (2007) had earliest sighting. For seven years adders were first seen out within the same period of three days. Once maximum monthly average temp. above 5.2 then adders out very much earlier – up to three weeks. Possibly lying snow is not much of a factor against emergence when the temperatures are suitable.

This goes back to Calebs graph and theory of temp. gradient.

With my slow worms I think that once you get past mid Feb, although the nights can still be bitter the temps will rise above zero during the daytime. Similarly the ponds might freeze at night but will now thaw in the daytime. Snakes and lizards can venture forth and then go to ground at night, but they will not have to burrow down to great depths again as the ground is warming up.

It would be good to know how early adders on sea cliffs emerge, as frost must be rare and snow more or less unheard of.

Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 10:08am
The figures compare well with records from Essex of first emergence - for several years we would get the first sightings on Valentine's day Feb 14. So perhaps indicating much less regional variation than might be expected. 

slippery42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slippery42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

The figures compare well with records from Essex of first emergence - for several years we would get the first sightings on Valentine's day Feb 14. So perhaps indicating much less regional variation than might be expected. 

My north yorkshire moor sites were 6-8th February this year.

Ben W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 1:12pm
Yesterday there were Adders out in Derbyshire as early as 9.40am with an air temperature of 3 decrees (according to the car) and significant wind chill which felt nearer freezing blowing onto the slope they were out on, which was receiving weak sunshine. A little later I observed one individual travel at least 6 meters in similar conditions, it was on the move when I came across it and may have already travelled a significant distance. This did surprise me as I would have expected it to be laying out adjacent to it hibernaculum this early in the year. On other occasions I have come across them laying out in cold, damp early morning mist.

They are astonishing, as when I was growing in Essex up from what I read, I believed they would only be seen out on hot summer days...no wonder I never found any!

I have attached a picture of a beautifully camoflaged male from yesterday.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 1:23pm
He won't be so well camouflaged in a couple of weeks Wink 

They are amazing, the slightest hint of warmth at this time of year gets me out looking and I too have seen them lying out on damp misty mornings, reading the books one would never expect to encounter them in such conditions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic