the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Reporting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newt seen in February

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowmando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newt seen in February
    Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:03am
It seemed remarkable to see a newt walking around in February so I thought I would find somewhere to report it, as it might be of interest to someone. I think it was a female smooth newt but I don't know enough to be certain and didn't want to disturb it by getting really up close. Sighted in Clevedon, Somerset at around 02:30am on the 20th of February. I know it isn't uncommon for mammals to wake up for a brief feed during hibernation but I thought cold blooded animals stayed dormant until it started getting warmer. I am not aware of it having been an especially warm winter and all the information I can find suggests they should be dormant for at least another month. The only thing I can think of is maybe it got disturbed by a predator and is finding a new spot.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:42am
Hi I saw my first smooth newt of the year pop up for air in our pond yesterday. For many years we have had them active on New Years Eve. If you take a look at the 'herp a day thread' you will see that Suzy has Palmate Newts active already.

The animals don't read the books, I've known some ponds where newts can be found all year round. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic