the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Log and Brash piles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Log and Brash piles
    Posted: 01 Nov 2003 at 10:16pm

A big thanks to Matt Cusack of the NT for his expert work with a chainsaw today, Mervyn for all his help both practically today and in arranging the task, Harvey for being good all day, result five of the biggest brash and log piles I've ever seen.

20 or so years ago the exact same work was carried out at this site, result was that within a year adder, grass snake, viviparous lizard and slow-worm were recorded. (Along with common frogs, common toads, and palmate newts in an adjacent pond that was created at the same time)

Over the years birch infill shaded the site, sightings of adder and viviparous lizards dwindled, though I did record both grass snakes and slow-worms last year, they were few and far between.

I now know that the area forms an important part of an adder summer foraging ground, so hopefully I will be recording adder again at the site very soon

Before, showing heavy shading from birch

after, showing brash piles (they do shrink down over time) before dressing with dried bracken (extant on site) and clearing made by the initial birch clearance. (Harvey's 3ft 9 and a bit, or so he tells me, so that gives some idea of scale)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic