the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turtles in the UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turtles in the UK
    Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 8:29am
I am looking for records and info on turtles seen in the UK.

Location, species if known, type of water, numbers seen Pix would be great.

So far in just a short time I have some 22 records with a WAG of 150 to 200 animals. I have had a couple of duplicate records. I have also canvased Face Book, RFUK, CaptiveBred and Terrapin-Info.

Thanks for your input. I dont know what I will do with these data - yet.

Its been quite a chore but interesting. One thing of note has been a statistically frequent sighting of the Chinese Softshell turtles (big ones) and I also have a report that in the same nature reserve the bird life is doing great.

Rom
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 9:33am
Locally the ones I've seen are a red ear at Mundon Hall TL 87918 02666 which has been around for the last decade.

There are several red ears also at Chigborough Lakes Nature Reserve

Edited by GemmaJF - 07 Aug 2014 at 9:35am
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 9:54am
The Canal & River Trust have been collecting terrapin records for a while, don't think they've published anything yet. They are advertising for a 'volunteer terrapin catcher' on the Ashby Canal:
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/volunteering/opportunity/OPP0002419/volunteer-terrapin-catcher-ashby-canal-near-snarestone-swadlincote

My parents say they've seen terrapins occasionally from their narrowboat in various places in East Anglia.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic