the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WISH I HAD NOT BOTHERED LOOKING Grrrrrrrrrr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 12:58pm
The amazing thing is Keith a lot of the drivers of the vehicles could do a 1 inch scrape and place the material 3 inches from your foot, they are highly skilled people. I've spent many hours doing destructive searches and have known them to spot a slow worms from the cab in the bucket and swing it over to me so I could rescue it! 

However if they are told to go in and clear the site... ...well that is exactly what they will do. 

It's just one more thing that makes my blood boil about these managers, who when caught out claim the contractors were the ones who were heavy handed. That is exactly why we do watching brief with contractors so they understand what is required and they will happily use their considerable skills at the controls to do exactly what is asked and  nothing more or less. 

If however they are told to clear a site of vegetation, who can blame them if they treat it exactly the same as they would a development site? The only difference is that on a development site we usually aim to translocate the animals first!!!!!!!!

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 11:29am
Went out to my local heath for the first time this year last evening. I had seen the RSPB warden at a recent local event and he asked if I'd been out there recently as they'd made some changes which they felt would be of benefit. I'd noticed permanent fencing going up around the site perimeter last year and now a cattle grid has been put in at the site entrance (the road is private). The idea is, according to a notice attached to the cattle grid gates, the cattle and horses will now have free run of the whole heath. So no grazing temporarily enclosed areas as before. I should have taken my camera to photograph the notice.
Like everywhere else we've had lots of this scraping and piling but I believe the RSPB have stopped this because they were damaging the archaeology underneath.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 12:57pm
I think sadly people will look back in the future and realise that many of the schemes were misguided.

I can understand that it is a difficult task and many of our remaining heaths are derelict and in desperate need of management, but the methods currently being employed of effectively wiping the slate clean and starting over, really are not the solution. One only has to look at the sites 10 years later, in many cases the vegetation has reverted back to exactly where it was before the clearance. The only significant 'achievement' appears to be wiping out the reptiles that previously thrived at the site...

The total disregard for the ecological value of the areas in their current state seems an almost impossible to believe oversight in this day and age.

Grazing was never really a good solution to heath management. It was historically a concession for the poor to allow them to graze the heaths as good quality pasture was not available to them. The heaths do not provide good nutrition to the livestock and the damage the animals cause often outweighs any perceived benefits. 

I wonder what the answer is? Many of the funding schemes state that the works should not be detrimental to reptiles, the managers just guess and make stuff up saying it will benefit reptiles in the long-term. With no baseline data from professionally conducted survey how could they possibly have a clue what impact the proposed scheme would have on reptiles? None of my own field studies agree with their optimism...

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 5:52am
Just seen this Keith, sorry mate, know how you feel.

Question from the above discussion. When should Heather be considered as "moribund"?

Surely even heaths that were managed in the middle ages didn't have the old heather ripped out did they?
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 9:12am
Hi Rod I like most people would have thought back in the past they just cut it down and used it as fire starting kindle or making bessom type brooms and I dont really believe there was much heathland management going on in medieval days like Ne try to have us believe to justify their planned expensive educated guess cock ups.

Edited by AGILIS - 17 May 2014 at 9:21am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic