the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Crested Newt Mini Mitigation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herpetologic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Crested Newt Mini Mitigation
    Posted: 10 Oct 2003 at 11:42am

Here is a picture of a raised flower bed which is actually a newt hibernacula - you can see the newt pond to the left corner.

this is the new owner of the pond just weeding th eblanket weed out. there are no fish in this pond which has replaced the old concrete pond in the garden. Newts can back to the pond this year and I visited the pond this July and found some healthy GCN and SN larva. i am going to torch the pond in the spring 2004. I need to see at least 15 newts or more to establish if the population is growing.

There are Common frogs and a resident Grass snake which has found the pond and uses the hibernacula probably as shelter.

I hope to build another pond in this village as part of another mitigation project where a new house is going to be built with a grey water system with reed bed filtration and a lagoon designed for newts and other wildlife. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic