the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

palmate or smooth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: palmate or smooth?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2013 at 11:00pm
Hi All,

I'm looking for some ID help. I know there are difficulties in separating female palmate from smooth newts and I confess I have never knowingly seen a palmate. What do you think of this individual I photographed in the south Manchester area on 13th June - could it be my first palmate? It certainly has an unspotted throat with dull pinkish shades, but I don't know the extent of variation in smooth newt females. There were also male smooth newts in the same pond.

liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 8:51am
I would say this is a smooth newt as the throat is more beige than pinkish. Would you be able to upload the photo at a higher resolution, or a higher-res crop of the hind feet?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:31am
I'd agree, for the reasons given, plus perhaps some speckling on the throat as well.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 1:04pm
Smooth, agree with above the speckled throat and boldness of the belly spots instantly says smooth to me. There are individual smooth newts with just a few throat speckles and less defined belly spots too.

Sharpbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 2:34pm
Thanks to all respondents,

My hopes are diminishing but in answer to Liam's request here are some close ups plus a second image of this individual (where the throat looks perhaps a little pinker?). Unfortunately they were all taken on a mobile phone so are poor quality.

Regards John

Sharpbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 11:16pm
To further my case could you get tubercles like this on a Smooth Newt?

Regards, John
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:08am
I think what you point to is just the normal texture of the foot you get in all species, as opposed to the two prominent white bumps you can get in palmates.

My initial reaction is that this is a smooth newt :)
Local Authority Ecologist
Sharpbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 2:24pm
Many thanks for all the input on this ID. I've learned quite a lot and will continue my Palmate search
Sharpbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 11:39pm
Continuing my search for my first palmate I think I cracked it this evening. I visited an upland pond where I have observed newts in the past and netted this individual. Looks good to me

BTW Any idea what the eggs are - from same pond and approx. 5cm x 3cm. Some snail sp. perhaps.

Cheers, John

liamrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liamrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 8:42am
Yes that one is definitely a palmate. The throat is the right colour and you can see the two white tubercles on the hind feet. On the the smooth newt they are brown (both species have them, it is the colour that is important).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic