the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So how many musicians do we have on Rauk?+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 6:09pm
yeah, great kids show Chubsta, along with that other slightly psychedelic macro puppet series of the era: HR PUF'N'STUF.

I guess Bob Marley was impressed by the Banana Splits Theme since he blatantly stole the melody for the "...why-y-y" bit of "Buffalo Soldier"!
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 12:43am
Just watched a YouTube clip of the dickies performing the banana splits theme live, the bass player is Olga from The Toy Dolls, one of my favourites from the 80's, great to see him still playing like a maniac, it's weird how some people just never seem to age.

I turned 50 last month and it is weird thinking of my teenage heroes being so old, it was like a kick in the teeth when I heard Phil Oakey was 60!
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 6:37pm
I love the Toydolls too. They are pure, unpretentious entertainment and the neotenous Olga sure is a brilliant guitarist. Think i read somewhere he played in orchestras before all the irreverent cover versions and songs about asthma and Coronation Street!   

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:33pm
Hey Gemma (and anyone else who remembers him...EG Chubsta??), sad to hear that actor Geoffrey Bayldon has died.
Ok, not a musician - but a brilliant performer who played some very entertaining and memorable roles that are fondly remembered by many an old git like me.
Brilliant as the Dickensian scarecrow creator 'The Crowman' in Keith Waterhouse's Worzel Gummidge, and arguably even better as 'Catweazel', an 11th Century wizard who finds himself suddenly transported through time to the 1970's where the technology of the day such as the telephone and electric lighting, amazes, confounds and terrifies him at the same time. The series won a Writer's Guild Award back then and having watched a couple of episodes recently, still stands up pretty well.   

RIP
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:55pm
Geoffrey Bayldon wasn't really on my radar at all, when I looked at the pictures of him it triggered clear memories of Catweazel, (although i wasn't really a fan of it with only 3 channels there wasn't much else to watch...) and i remember him from Worzel Gummidge but that is about it.

Because he seemed like such an old man even when i was a kid i looked him up on Wikipedia and his list of parts played is incredible, and in so many of the 'classics' too - Tomorrow People, Porridge, Bergerac (ok, so the last one isn't a classic but it shows 'range'!). Made it to a good age too, working pretty much to the end, sad for him to go of course but his family will always have his legacy of tv and film to look back on.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:59pm
Get well soon (one of our greatest songwriters) Elvis Costello.
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:13pm
indeed. i noticed there wasn't much love for his last performance at love supreme and it was almost certainly the right decision to cancel the rest of his dates to fully recover from the surgery. he really does have a very special place in my heart. in fact there was a period of a couple of years in my late teens where i declined to listen to anyone or anything else!!!
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:40pm
Hi Gemma .. ah please forget those tabs , lol ! That was in the early days and many of them are just not right . I'm pleased to say my playing and singing has improved since those days LOL
O-> O+>
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:27am
I see - popular with members - singer/songwriter Elvis Costello just got an OBE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
  Share Topic