the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

combat 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 6:57am
Hi Will were these Purbeck adders?keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:31am
Thanks Suzi and Tim; I'll try experimenting a little but the trouble is, you tend to get one chance a year for the spectacle if that, and I'm a little hesitant to play around with the settings in case the pics turn out even worse than usual!  If I'm lucky, they'll hold still for a second or two in the middle of the frantic movements, and this is when you get a chance at a decent shot I have found.

Keith - no, my local site in London.  Yet to visit Dorset this year - can't wait!
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:34am
Hey Will ,Maybe those males are excited about the February female!!!
Paul Hudson
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:18pm
Hi Paul LOL - funny thing was, I'm pretty sure there was not any female near them!  now, I know females are good at hiding away and there could have been one present, but I know the adders at this small site, and there wasn't a 'known' female within at least 100m of the group of 3 males.  Until then, if you had asked me whether a female was a pre-requisite for initiation of combat, I'd have said 'yes'.  Maybe these young blades were just sparring in preparation for a bigger and more serious bout of rivalry whenever they manage to locate one of the females (or maybe they were saving time and sorting out the pecking order in advance?)  amazing how they keep on suprising me with unexpected behaviour!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic