the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subspecies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yashca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subspecies
    Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:32pm
I was reading today about how certain bird species, amongst other things, have different subspecies in different parts of the British Isles. For example, the Coal tit has an Irish subspecies, as well as a mainland Britain one, which are both different from the continental subspecies. Dipper have two different species throughout the British Isles, as do Yellowhammer and Wren.

I would have thought, especially with birds being able to disperse much more easily than reptiles and amphibians, that some of our herps might possibly have different subspecies in different parts of their range?

Are all Irish herps the same subspecies as mainland Britian? And, if so, are they the same as continental Europe?

The only possible one that I can think of would be Pool Frog? I know that they occur as a reintroduced 'Northern/Brown' population, as well as an introduced 'Southern/Green' population - are these different subspecies?
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Yashca Yashca wrote:

Are all Irish herps the same subspecies as mainland Britian? And, if so, are they the same as continental Europe?

Yes, all the native herps in the British Isles and Ireland are currently regarded as being of the same subspecies as those on the nearest parts of continental Europe.

Originally posted by Yashca Yashca wrote:

The only possible one that I can think of would be Pool Frog? I know that they occur as a reintroduced 'Northern/Brown' population, as well as an introduced 'Southern/Green' population - are these different subspecies?

There currently aren't any subspecies recognised for the pool frog. The Scandinavian and British pool frogs are often described as the 'Northern clade', as they've been found to be genetically and acoustically different from Southern animals.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic