the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Osprey seen today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Osprey seen today
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:47pm
Seen an osprey today in Horsham area.

Flying past but very obvious wings and caught glimpse of white underneath too, esp in the sunshine. Couldn't really spend a lot of time looking at it, as I was in the middle of talking to a client and explaining things.

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:29am

Might well be one of the Dyfi project Ospreys. The female arrived yesterday so this might well be the male on his way to join her.

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 11:02am
Fantastic - even if you're not really into birds, you have say the Osprey is a magnificent animal.

Tony used to be lucky enough to have a couple on his old stomping ground of studland, I saw it once. I hope they get to Lee valley one day.

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:47pm
Dont be daft Robert in the Lea Valley they would more then likely get snared or shot by eastern European asylum seekers for the pot Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:51am
Rutland Water might be another destination. Don't know if they've bred there in the last couple of years though. 
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:00pm
Rutland Water is probably the location i reckon but could be the Dyfi osprey instead.

Very excited about this sighting and still buzzing from it. Really made my day that did!

Got to agree though it is a magnificant animal.
I used to go bird watching on a regular basis when i had some free time (he, he, free time - what's that Smile??) but don't seem to get time these days. Every time i see a bird of prey, i get excited because i have passion for birds of prey.

I wish i could have spent more time looking at it and enjoying it too.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:09pm
Yeah Keith,

have you noticed the drop in swan numbers then!!!!!!!

I got right underneath a pair of red kites the other day, went to snap them, hadn't turned the b*st*rd camera on and they drifted off. Gutted.

R
RobV

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

I got right underneath a pair of red kites the other day, went to snap them, hadn't turned the b*st*rd camera on and they drifted off. Gutted.

R

He, he,

Yes had that before...wth a brown hare. Very annoyed I was.

What about the time when you leave a lens cap on to take a photo. I know someone who had done that before Smile
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 3:26pm
"I'm sorry missus you can't take my photo"

"Oh i'm sorry do you believe it will take your spirit away"

"Nah you got lens cap on"

Classic Croc Dundee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

"I'm sorry missus you can't take my photo"

"Oh i'm sorry do you believe it will take your spirit away"

"Nah you got lens cap on"

Classic Croc Dundee!

SmileSmileSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic