the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allerthorpe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:15pm
I agree Gemma,

I'm withdrawing contact with EF. It's all been said.

I thought it made interesting reading today in the light of Buzzards vs Pheasants debate.

And though the Buzzard is protected NE have decided the rule book only applies where they think it does and would rather smash Buzzard nests that have land oweners upset because a few dozen common-as-sh*te Pheasants are predated.

I don't hear them screaming when the Pheasants reduce all manner of Herp populations though :-(

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:31pm
Cant see what the prob with buzzards is, the land owners shoot the pheasants anyway. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:38pm
I thought that enough has been said regarding Allerthorpe and then it just gets better and better !! I mentioned you earlier Pesky as I met someone who had seen you collecting the Adders as evidence. All I can say is well done and I wish that it had been taken further by the authorities. That is a staggering amount of Adders that have been killed and the work will probably continue to have a detrimental affect on the ones that have survived due to the lack of habitat and habitat fragmentation. On the plus side it is going to be a dog walking heaven with all the grass that's going to be there !! Joking aside I have an idea; as you know I contacted the local paper which ran a story and last week it updated it with another story regarding the mess that has been left with all the cleared willows left on top of the heather. I was wondering if I could generate some interest through them as well as approaching local businesses to sponsor legal action. What do people think ?? Is it viable ??
On the topic of pheasants they are big money for the land owners. There is one nearby who has spent £100,000 on renovating a van for him and his croney's with all the mod cons you can think of when out  shooting. I've heard they can shoot 70+ birds each and many of them go to waste.         
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:57pm
Chris try contacting Friends of the Earth, they will fund private prosecutions for breaches of wildlife legislation and advise on the viability of the case. 

We are looking at potentially a fine of £5,000 per animal and here we are estimating what 100+ adders and one can only guess how many slow-worms and common lizards. It could easily amount to a fine of several hundred thousand pounds or imprisonment. Assuming the physical evidence still exists I cannot see any reason not to seek a prosecution under the Wildlife & Countryside Act.

I would look at a prosecution of jointly the contractors and the land owners. 

Hopefully NE will get burnt by it too as no doubt they gave the go ahead for the works. Be nice to see them sued by one of the prosecuted parties wouldn't it? 

At least then we would have a situation where land owners and conservation organisations are aware of their legal responsibilities, rather than the current situation of them relying on NE to turn a blind eye.

Edited by GemmaJF - 24 May 2012 at 11:58pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 5:40am
I think NE should be amalgamated with the UK border agency who seem to be doing a similar type of job keith

Edited by AGILIS - 25 May 2012 at 5:41am
Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:34pm
Keith - you bad boy!!!!!
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 4:44pm
It makes me wonder if NE are really a responsible enough body for issuing licenses for fully protected species.  It seems they would try and brush instances such as Allerthorpe under the carpet when they would readily prosecute indivuduals for doing the same thing.

Mark
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 4:51pm
As for the bollocks Defra are coming out with regarding Buzzards vs Pheasants, the 'research' they are proposing is a waste of money as Buzzard predation of bird introduced solely for hunting is going to be negligible.    The amount of pheasants killed each year by Buzzards is going to be dwarfed by the amount killed by road vehicles.

Sorry for the language but at the moment I'm pissed off by the so-called responsible bodies and their blatent disregard of native species.

mark

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 5:43pm
I total agreement with you Mark .I have reported la and ca sites that are being chopped up for golf links and never had a reply, but I bet if I had a sand lizard in my pocket and was found out, well you know the out come man jailed and fined £50grand and had house confiscated for the unlicensed handling of rare protected native wildlife.keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic