the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

While we wait

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:18am
Keith, Using polystyrene under the ground in the vivarium would probably hinder the the draining off of rain water ,also in mine and Rays vivarium no peat is used ,simply sand and rubble. I also use sand from the Sefton coast in the viv,as in the past when I used silver sand from a quarry in Scotland the lizards would sometimes get inflamed eye lids when digging the the test burrows prior to egg laying.
Additionally as I'm so far north and inland I cover the viv in bubble wrap from December-Feb.

Paul Hudson
Ray999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 2:21am
Being on the coast with brisk west winds being the norm we don't normally suffer with heavy frosts but I have also put bubble wrap on the exposed areas of sand just in case, I also have a small test area for checking any possible flooding ,so far so good, I think I have done everything right but you never know.

Ray.   
ray999
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 4:35pm
As Ray knows, the area he lives in is mild. It was a great market gardening place in the past because it was so mild. Very few frosts in winter and plenty of sunshine.
I suppose beach sand has been rounded off whereas silver sand, I use for greenhouse cuttings, is more scratchy.

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic