the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRATTST1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders
    Posted: 31 Aug 2003 at 6:13pm

Hi

I  am a new member called Steve.

I have been photographing adders (with varying degrees of success) over the last six months at a site near York. In March I found an hibernation site and upto recently have been able to find adders in the relative vicinity to this site. On my last few visits I have been unable to find any adders. Can anyone tell me if in the next few months the adders are likley to return to this hibernation site?

Also throughout this site are large piles of branches etc. Are these placed there for the adders, or are they for other reptiles such as grass snakes ?

Any help you can give me would be gratefully recieved

Steve

STEVE P
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2003 at 7:43pm
Hi Steve,

Piles of branches and brashings benefit both species where they occur together in my experience. The "Wisley Adders" thread shows a picture of 2 female berus on just such a pile of birch.

The last few weeks have been a bit hot and dry for spotting adders, though they usually show up again in September and even into October. A few days of rain followed by breaking sunshine is often the ideal situation.

I asked Tony about adders congregating back at the hibernaculum the other day, though the groups seen in spring are unlikely, one can guess they will be about in the area again over the next couple of months.

PS would love to see some of your pictures on the forum

Edited by Gemma Fairchild
PRATTST1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRATTST1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2003 at 2:58pm

Hi Gemma

Thankyou for answering my questions. Could you please tell me how to post pictures with a reply, I'm not very good with these computer jobies

Cheers

Steve

STEVE P
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2003 at 3:09pm
Hi Steve,

I'm hoping to simplify putting pictures on here soon by opening an upload directory, but for now you need to mount the pictures on the web first.

Once on the web you click on the tree icon and enter the URL of the picture into the text prompt. Click OK and the picture should display.

If you don't have your own web space to mount the pictures you can mail them to me and I'll create a folder on RAUK and put them in your posting for you. (Just make it obvious in the posting where you want the image by putting the file name of the relevant picture in brackets)
PRATTST1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRATTST1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 1:35pm

Hi Gemma

Here are a couple of photos taken earlier in the year near an hibernation site.

This is the same snake a few minutes later

Any advice / critism would be gratefully welcome

Cheers

Steve

Edited by administrator
STEVE P
test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 2:47pm
Hi Steve,

I like the way they look, very natural, sorry took me a while to put them up but have been out and about this morning looking for adders too, still no sign as yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic