the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking the 2011 grassie 'duck'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:48am
I handle slowies a lot and have never had one shed its tail. I guess it's probably rough handling that does it. They do squirm a lot in an attempt to escape of course. I only handle them to move them under cover away from cats etc. if I see them in the open. 
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 1:41pm
It's mostly people grabbing them by the tail that is the problem. I've seen some fieldworkers do it far too often. Very rarely I've seen autonomy in a thrashing animal, but again it is mishandling that is the root cause. As I'm sure you know Suz, a firm grip on the body is the way to go to prevent this. Some people seem laid-back about it, but it can have a significant affect on both locomotion and fat reserves and anyone regularly handling animals and observing autonomy ought to seriously question their techniques!

Edited by GemmaJF - 12 Sep 2011 at 2:57pm
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 9:41pm
I've never had a tail lost on me, either Liz or Slowie, but when I was a teenager i used to keep green lizards in a vivarium and on cleaning days I'd put them in an aquarium with rocks and stuff while i did the business. But one day i went to move the aquarium and my fingers were wet and I let it slip, rocks everywhere and two green lizards without tails - very distressing.

You mention Gemma a reserve that you've prepared for next year.

I placed around twenty 'tins' in a reserve over epping way where there is a pond, marshy ground, bush cover, frogs and newts. But not one reptile has been found all summer under any of the tins or on the reserve.

Why do you think this is? Surely reptiles cannot be extinct in a fairly woody, scrubby and wild area?

R
RobV
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 7:15am
Rob I must point out I have not seen hardly any nats this year even in high density areas but have not put to much time looking , do think somethings happened ? keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 12:30pm
Can't say Rob really without seeing the site. Refugia + Grass Snake doesn't always = results! I've put tins in similar areas and had dozens of visual sighting and no refugia records at all. Certainly marshy ground can have an affect on the performance of traditional tin in terms of cooling and lack of a suitable 'bed' under the refugia which might be one of several possible explanations. 

If you want me to visit the site with you and give an opinion I would be more than happy too, I've some spare Onduline felts too if they might help?

For me the grassy season only just began, for sure September into October are the months for grass snake refugia survey in my opinion. The juveniles are about and warm but not hot days have the adults hugging the refugia. 

For sure nothing beats spring visual survey for grassies in terms of fun, but for pure results and indications of site distribution now is the best time in my opinion, so lack of summer results wouldn't lead me to any conclusions about a site.

rickanstis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickanstis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 4:55pm
Yeah, with you there Gem. Been a great September for snakes so far.
Cheers
Rick
with best wishes
Rick Anstis
Secretary, Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group
7 Arundel Road DORKING RH4 3HY
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 6:13pm
More grassies today at the new site:

3 Males and a female this morning, 3 females, 2 males, 3 sub-adults this afternoon and a couple of the slow worms from Sunday put in a show too. 

Edited by GemmaJF - 15 Sep 2011 at 6:14pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 1:56pm
I've just had news that a consultant recently 'surveyed' (walked over) this site for the purpose of ecological assessment for an adjacent development. The comment was 'very low potential' for reptiles.

Time to stir it up a bit I think!
kithara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kithara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 9:44am
very nice post! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic