the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bellflowers + more for Suz and others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bellflowers + more for Suz and others
    Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 8:08pm
hi folks,

couple of pix i hope you enjoy - for any flora appreciative members/guests;

Clustered Bellflower Campanulata glomerata on Minchinhampton Common;

from Painswick Beacon heres its (far larger) sibling, Nettle-Leaved Bellflower Campanulata trachelium;

UK established aliens;

Snowberry Symphoricarpus rivularis;

Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia changing costume Klark Kent to Superman style - though much more slowly obviously LOL;

the above, rather surreal pic shows leaf, tendrils and buds against the background of a passing train. if any of you trainspotter geeks can ID it then that would be most impressive! LOL

our well-loved herp heroes;

sexy pair of male AF;

same pair used as a caliper to measure Large-Flowered Evening Primrose Oenothera erythrosepala;

"how the hell do you expect me to spot adders and lizards in this bloody jungle Ben?

all the best

ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 17 Jul 2011 at 8:14pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 10:25am
Ah bellflowers Ben! Used to have wild ones in the Lakes when I lived there but don't have them here in East Devon that I've seen.
The evening primrose I was ripping out of my front garden yesterday where it has self seeded and is threatening to become a pest. I didn't plant it and don't let it flower or seed BUT it still keeps appearing!
I love virginia creeper when it turns red but it is another plant I had to remove as it was growing over a shed and into it and generally taking over.
Snowberry very good for quick hedging with the speed it grows. Are you stood in a dangerous place taking some of these shots - between railway lines?!
My garden slow worms now number well over 30. I was worried about their late appearance in spring but they seem not to have suffered in the hard winter with even the babies overwintering and appearing.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic