the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:53pm
My point was that the displacement of a population, for whatever reason, and its subsequent colonisation of a lesser or alternative habitat is neither an original nor contentious concept. I read that as being the original point that you were trying to make, as if the idea of displacement was 'out there'.
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 5:57pm

I live on the Hampshire/West Sussex border. There is definitely some sort of developement going on near this site! A big road has been cut into the sand down the West which often has heavy vehicles going up and down, and I often hear heavy machinery coming from the East of the site (which I believe is looked after by the forestry commission) which appears to be pines being cut down which surround the site. You said development within 5 miles... well this is all going on within 500m. There is a stream and pond several kilometres away which I originally thought they may have come from but (if they did come from there) I'm not sure whats going on there development wise.

James 
Im Craving Adder's(www.jimpklop.moonfruit.com)
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi Jim,

sounds as though the snakes left over are making a break for the border!Confused

And yes Rob, I know it's not a new concept or "off the wall thinking", but the point I'M making is that despite it being a concept that been floating around "for ages" the stats are not being picked up in NARRS!

I have asked Jon (Herpetologic) where we can view the NARRS stats so that anyone interested can look at the squares quoted and see if and of the individual squares could have thrown up extra numbers from displaced animals.

Unfortunately Jon never answered and I for one would like to know why this "survey information" is kept so tightly under wraps. Who has it?

I hope that clears it up

Cheers

R
RobV
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 10:10am
Loud and clear sir. I would also like to add that i was not disagreeing with anything that you were saying Thumbs Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic