the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where do they come from?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:58pm
A freind of mine works for BT and while carrying out a survey lifted one of their hatches. Although there was no apparent access available, the first thing he saw was three Great Crested Newts staring at him. A later search with a license-holder found it was teeming with all three newt species. The assumption is that somewhere along this stretch of conduit there must have been a break of some sort allowing both water and newt ingress!(and yes, mitigation is in progress - in thsi case BT came up trumps). I would say underground drains and gullies as suggested by Rob are a piece of cake by comparison!

All the best
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:48pm
Rob yes I have underground pipes in the front garden, however I don't tend to see toads in the front garden, but frogs go in the pipes. Mind you the pipes aren't easy to access (for man or toad) so not sure the pipes would be strongholds for frogs or toads.
As you might have read I had a GCN male in the pond earlier in the year. Whilst this was wonderful it was not a complete surprise, as I'd seen one under a plant tub a few years ago (and was the reason I put in a larger pond). I didn't understand that GCNs like really large ponds, so my large, but not huge, garden pond was a well intentioned mistake to attract them - which worked! What I'm trying to say is there seems to be a mystery to how some of these creatures arrive where they do and thrive.
I do think some of these mysteries would make good research topics.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 7:43pm
Well the technology is certainly available. I just received a CCTV drain survey (I was looking to at a subsidence problem to a house) and the cctv recording showed the cracked drain to be home to loads (and I mean loads) of false widow spiders!!

Now where there are spiders... etc

You could set above getting a drain survey Suze and seeing if the camera bumps into any of your herps.

Incidentally, has anyone heard this before. My brother originally contacted EN (its predecessors) years and years ago to tell them about his farm pond and GCN's.

They've been down many times since to check condition etc. this time however they told my brother that they had DNA'ed his ponds population.

But they then seemed to issue a thinly veiled threat and said that..."if any of the ponds population showed up as sold, it would be my brother who would be prosecuted"!!!!

Now pardon me. But had he not informed them in the first instance they would never have known (pond on private land) and should anyone have the intent to get at the pond (for whatever reason) my brother shouldn't have to erect six foot fences and razor wire to protect it.

How not to win friends - these organisations have no idea.

R
RobV
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:58pm
Rob re your brother's experience with EN, I had similar but on a much smaller scaler - one male GCN. I will abide by the rules, but they're not exactly encouraging!
Maybe I don't want to know what's in my drains if it is likely to be heaps of spiders Cry
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic