the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

warts 'n' all

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: warts 'n' all
    Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 3:33pm
hi folks,

the last time i lifted this bit of concrete beside the T & S Canal it yielded a slowie;

on this occasion ;

i was a lot less happy to see that not content with stripping away aquatic and bankside vegetation in their quest to make way for pleasure boating, the Canals Trust have started using weed killer too.

what next, Agent Orange?

ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 13 Jun 2011 at 3:47pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
It's a pity that a local natural history group couldn't work alongside the canal folk to make sure the natural world is considered. They might even get grants towards some helpful work. I'm sure that people using the canals like to see wild flowers and creatures - surely one of the attractions.
I am always staggered at the amount of weedkilling that is carried out by conservation bodies. Maybe some of it is now regarded as absolutely safe, but I doubt it.
Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 7:51pm
Have you ever noticed how few amphibs you see near farm land / crops?

It must be the pesticides mustn't it?

R
RobV
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 2:48pm
I know a good brownfield herp site that is reputed to be an Agent Orange dumping ground. I think the rumours are a load of bollocks though. Not sure why the yokels would think the Americans are dumping it in Shropshire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic