the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another nocturnal find

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another nocturnal find
    Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:29pm
One of the best new finds when doing a night-time GCN torchlight survey last night in the Derbyshire Dales (well as it was after midnight it was really today). Walking between dewponds with the torches off I saw a light out of the corner of my eye and found the first of 3 female glow-worms shining in the grassland. Rose Clarke had a decent camera with her and took this flash photo of the animal, though the flash drowned out the glow. My mobile phone flash was much less bright so you can see the glow from the end segments of the body.
It beats having to fend off an aggressive bullock with my pond net at night a couple of weeks ago on my approach to another pond.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:47pm
If you shine a penlight torch just slightly away from a glow worm and take a photo it looks quite good as it shows up the creature without being too bright. Magic things I always think.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic