the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

publicising the forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: publicising the forum
    Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:58am
Just a thought - from a luddite and a technophobe - can the rauk forum be publicised on other wildlife forums / websites etc better than it is already? 

looking at the quality of information provided on this forum for herps in the wild, compared with some of the stuff elsewhere (not naming any sites) it seems to me that more people could benefit from coming to this forum.  For example, there's genuine top-notch observations like smooth snake mating balls, scientific debates such as the possibility of grass snakes laying eggs in early spring after autumn mating etc as well as sensible answers to pond problems etc.  I suppose I'm asking if 'rauk' could be a link on other places, though I guess it would have to reciprocate.  We seem to be a friendly, but small group - stuck in the corner of a virtual pub chewing the fat, which is OK, but let's wave our flag some more...

Cheers
Will
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:36am

Hi Will

Certainly a fair comment. We don't do too badly (as evidenced by a Google Page Rank of 4) but could do better. Now, as you will all appreciate, my time is limited so actively searching for such other sites falls well outside my available time. 

So, if you, or others, through the forum or through a PM to me would like to let know of other suitable sites I could ask for a reciprocal link with, I will happily approach them.

All the best

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:45am
Thanks Chris; as always I appreciate all your efforts doing what you do for us!  I was thinking of things like the British Wildlife forum, Wildlife Trusts, ARG-UK (as well as individual ARGs - I know SARG has a direct link to rauk already, for instance).  There's probably more out there - maybe some of the reptile keeping forums which sometimes get questions on wild herps, but then again, it might be that we don't want links with the husbandry side of things, I dunno!
Cheers 
Will 
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:17pm

Hi again Will

I'll have a look at British Wildlife forum and Wildlife Trusts. ARG-UK, as one of our sponsors already has a reciprocal link with us but now that many more local ARGs are getting on line reciprocal links with them would be good. I am not 100% sure about reptile keeping forums although most of them are at least thoroughly well intentioned and it might be valid to exchange links if only to give some of the people who occasionally post questions regarding "pets" on here somewhere to go.

I will gladly listen to views any of you might have on this latter point. I know we have members who are opposed to keeping herps, but many others who became interested in our herps via this route and some who have a foot firmly in both camps (I number myself amongst the latter). So, as I say, views appreciated.

All the best

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:55am
Hi Chris, thanks for the offer to look into refreshing / updating links.  re the 'pet forums', it's tricky - it could help to redirect people with a captive reptile away from us, and in return point some to us with a wild reptile Q.  However, I guess it could also prompt lots of pet-related enquiries to us, by people adopting a random/scattergun approach to trying to get their pet question answered.  I think on balance I'd be against trying to make a link on those kind of forums, at least for the start, but that's just my view.
Cheers
Will
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 10:13pm
There was a link on our Derbyshire ARG website to the forum which we took down when the forum went down. I re-instated it about a week ago under a more prominent heading.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:46am
that's just the sort of thing I had in mind - thanks Chris!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic