the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i.d.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARRY3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i.d.
    Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm

Please help with identification of this photo,taken this morning Laindon Hills.Is it male and female mate guarding or 2 males.

Thanks Barry
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm
Both males
Paul Hudson
BARRY3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARRY3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 8:26pm
Thanks Paul
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 3:14pm
yep males, males are blackish and most fems browner if you staid you might have been lucky to see them in the mating dance but looks like they may have already knackered them selves out doing it Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 16 Apr 2011 at 3:16pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
BARRY3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARRY3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 5:35pm
Thanks Keith, was not sure as one of them seemed slightly brownish.They had the dance the previous day, I was lucky enough to photograph.They have sorted out the pecking order and are now comfortable with each other.
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 10:37pm
Hi Barry,

Here's a photo of a typical female (I think!) taken today - note brown zig zag and also the shape of the tail (there's a distinct change of section and taper near the end).

Regards,

Tim.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic