the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone with XP had this virus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone with XP had this virus?
    Posted: 12 Aug 2003 at 10:05pm
It's all over the place here. Doesn't enter your comp',just closes your system down after 1 min of being on line. Gave me a real headache for the last 24hrs.

It's called W32 Blaster worm. If you have windows XP be prepared , go to www.norton.com and download all the files to protect yourself in advance, because it's hard work trying to download these when you've got it and your comp' keeps closing down. Once you have these files go to-http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp, and download the patch file for your system as the norton files will not work without it, this patch finalises by preventing the virus from re-entry.

Ok , Just thought i'd let you all know .
Hope everyone's ok ,
Al
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 9:41am

Many thanks Alan, sorry you caught it .

Also known as W32/Lovesan, it affects mainly NT4, 2000, Xp and Server, it's specific payload is to pose a Denial of Service attack on windowsupdate.com at some date in the future (16th I think).

Tech description and advice on removal is available here http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=lovsan including details of how to remove the virus by hand, don't forget to do the update from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp.

I believe older versions of Windows (95, 98 etc) are not affected but this should not be relied on.

The best form of defence is (if you can) set your antivirus software to 'auto update' your definition files, adds a bit of an overhead to surfing the web but keeps you right up to date.

Edited by Mike
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 10:18am
Hi Mike ,

Please , do not rely on Auto update as ours is set to update automaticly, and I check for updates manually every morning.

I believe there may have been another virus sent out at an earlier date that mucks up Norton .For the past few weeks We kept on getting error messages from Norton. In the end I had to uninstall and reinstall with the disc.

Hope nobody else got nailed,

Cheers Mike,
Alan
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 12:50pm

Alan,

I did hear of something that was targeting Norton. I & work are on McAfee, update on this works a treat, I check on it once in a while and have never caught it out.

However I have just heard that some installs of the patch incorrectly report a good installation when it has not completed correctly. The patch should be downloaded and then installed manually to work.

Edited by Mike
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 3:42pm
Yeah, half the worlds had this, have a look at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html for info on how to get rid of it. I think only NT and XP are affected. It struck yesterday and made the news in Germany but not here (YET). Hope this helps, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 9:37pm
Lol David.

Top Tip: Get a firewall instead and avoid having to get stripey jumpers, sandals and a beard.

Lee
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic