the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are leeches good for garden ponds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:19pm

Oh and in summer frogs usually hide out around the sides of the bottom right plantpot/tree stump, I sometimes disturb them when IÆm de-weeding. ItÆs not as deep at that end though so I was thinking in winter they go to the far side/middle where all the plantage is. At the very bottom of my pic the water is about 15cm deep and you can see the plastic bottom, canÆt at the other side.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:19pm

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:46pm
I read somewhere that small black Leeches form the main
diet of aquatic phase Great Crested Newts. I can't remember
where i saw it, who published it or how old the study was
though. I would think flat worms would be easy pickings for
all amphibians.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:37am

I gave my pond a shake up on Saturday and tried shifting the plantage over to one side more, worked for a day but now theyÆve shifted back again, all IÆve done is disturbed a live frog and broken a couple of plants in the process. Also found a large stone at the bottom of my pond, dunno what that was doing there. Scary putting my hand in to get it out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic