the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2010 babies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010 babies
    Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 10:26am
Had a pleasant surprise yesterday...

Visited one of the local spots on Anglesey and found 6 baby adders plus 1 stillborn around the same gorse bush! From my experience this seems much earlier than usual - guess that warm spell earlier in the year has speeded up development of the unborn snakes.

Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:43pm

Oooh, excellent, I was just about to start a thread on this.  Nothing up by me yet in South Staffs.

Watch those still borns.  I had one in 2006 and popped the sac open... dead to the world.  Took it home to take some decent pictures, which I did. Ten hours later, it was very much alive and kicking.  Released back into the wide world the following week after it had eaten a pinky.  Hope it gave it that extra energy to make up for it's poor start.

Edited by Jonathan
"England Expects"
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 9:46am
We have not had any neos yet on our relocation site in East Essex

I bet they have started dropping in the south of England though - but would
the rain delay proceedings?

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 6:32pm
not seen any babies yet, but this post partum female seen 18th August in London

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:58am
hi Will nice pic, when you say London ??? where abouts regards keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:11pm
Hi Keith

Greater London - can't say more, as you know there are some nutters out there who would happily kill or try to catch them for 'fun'...

Cheers

Will
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 10:19pm

Is anyone else seeing a complete fall in the number on neos in their area?

"England Expects"
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 3:49pm
Jonathan,completely the opposite at one site ,never seen so many and will pass the details on to mtc.As you can see by my post on the reporting thread ,they are still dropping now.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 11:07am

Originally posted by dave fixx dave fixx wrote:

Jonathan,completely the opposite at one site ,never seen so many and will pass the details on to mtc.As you can see by my post on the reporting thread ,they are still dropping now.

I've been out every day this week and still nothing.  I've seen loads by this time in previous years.

"England Expects"
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 8:43pm

managed to pop upto Llandegla for an hour today and found a few adders braving the misty conditions.A couple of neos were good enough to let me get right up to them.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic