the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Natterjack Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Natterjack toad found kent-sussex border

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote william shaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 3:46pm

Hi Laurie - just read all the correspondence/seen the (excellent) photos re your non-natterjack sighting!!

All good stuff.  Just one other point, for future reference, about the differnces between common and natterjack toads;  natterjacks have yellow irises, commons orange.  A very noticeable feature.

All the best, keep on searching.

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2004 at 10:44pm
Hi Laurie, just so you dont feel so stupid, i've dug up my copy of the complete british wildlife book by collins and the picture on page 133 looks exactly like yours except for the lateral line, the other thing is the common toad is shown as a olive-brown colouration which is the common colour. If you read the info on the Natterjack Toad it says: Body rather flattened with conspicuous yellow strpie down back. Persoanlly i'm not sure if your toad is a common or natterjack toad - it could be the angle ofthe photo missed the stripe, but the toad is quite flat...
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2004 at 10:48pm
actually, a second viewing of the pictures shows that the toad's eyes are orange, a common toad's eyes are usually always orange around the edges while a Natterjack's are usually Yellow.
ANDREW CLARKE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANDREW CLARKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2004 at 11:21pm
Dear Members,

I am no expert but from reading your site I suspect I may have a frog/toad of some sort in my garden. Last night at approx 5am-6.30am I was awoken by a series of high pitched calls/whistling which I cannot identify with any birdsong or other fauna like sound I have heard before.
This experience has coincided with 2 individual sightings, one by myself and one by my partner of a frog/toad (we're not sure which). Since we have never heard this sound before our first assumption is that the sound and the amphibian are linked. Is this likely?

Many thanks

Kate and Andrew

Battersea, London
aclarke1@mac.com
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 4:38pm
Another post I am coming late to! I am the EN natterjack man that Dave Bird referred to. I don't recall being told by my wife about the Sussex/Kent natterjack record in 2003! Dave, the site in Sussex you referred to (scout camp) may have been Broadstone Warren in Ashdown Forest. it is a centre owned and used by the Scouts. I surveyed the area in the late 1980's and found all five of the widespread amphibians. Common toads were abundant. The site is largely forested in tall pine and looks most un-natterjacky now.
BB
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2009 at 4:17pm

Originally posted by ANDREW CLARKE ANDREW CLARKE wrote:

Dear Members,

I am no expert but from reading your site I suspect I may have a frog/toad of some sort in my garden. Last night at approx 5am-6.30am I was awoken by a series of high pitched calls/whistling which I cannot identify with any birdsong or other fauna like sound I have heard before.
This experience has coincided with 2 individual sightings, one by myself and one by my partner of a frog/toad (we're not sure which). Since we have never heard this sound before our first assumption is that the sound and the amphibian are linked. Is this likely?

Many thanks

Kate and Andrew

Battersea, London

Alytes obstetricans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic