the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall lizards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 6:48pm

David. I'm intrigued, do the wall lizards harm sand lizards through competition. I'm surprised there are any Sand Lizards at Canford Cliffs - I didn't think the conditions would be suitable.

Nick

Nick
Nick D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 6:50pm

P.S. The individual wall lizard my daughter and I saw was a juvenile at most a year old.

Nick

Nick
Nick D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 10:50pm

David

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you ever need any help with future surveys - be glad to help

Nick

Nick
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 9:03am

I emailled Ellin Beltz in the USA following up a search engine hit....here is her reply.

Dear Steve:

Here's the text:
"Frank B. Gibbons, Secretary of the South Western Herpetological Society in Devon, England writes:

This country includes only a very limited variety of herpetofauna: 3 anurans, 3 urodellans, 3 saurians and 3 ophidians, but no chelonians or crocodilians as the climate is not conducive to such reptiles....

Twelve wall lizards (Podarcis muralis) were released at Farnham Castle in Surrey, in 1932. Two more followed the next year, and these were rediscovered in 1951 in the garden of a nearby estate. In 1937, 300 were released in the grounds of Paignton Zoo, and these were still in existance in the late 1960s. In 1954, Lord Chaplin released 15 into the garden of his estate near Tornes, Devon; and by 1976, these had been known to have multiplied to around 100. In 1980, two flourishing colonies had been discovered on the Isle of Wight, and from 1957, another colony is still believed to be extant - in Hampton Court, in Middlesex.

.....more fuel to the fire :P

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
bearde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 6:31pm
can any 1 give me a wall lizard care sheet for Podarcis muralis
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2004 at 11:41pm
but no chelonians or crocodilians as the climate is not conducive to such reptiles....

Hmm, not sure about the chelonians bit. Leatherbacks (Dermochelys coriacea)are a resident species in our waters while the loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta), KempÆs ridley (Lepidochelys kempii), the hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) and the green turtle (Chelonia mydas)all turn up from time to time.

Regards, Lee.
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic