the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders in Yorkshire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders in Yorkshire
    Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 9:48pm

Hi everyone

Just registered tonight...after finding the site through Google. Was initially looking for info on North American Bullfrogs ,(which I may have come across), but the word 'Adder' distracted me. Will post pics of 'suspect' bullfrogs on relative forum.

I have had a lot of success this year in photographing Adders. Found a spot local to me, Allerthorpe Common, Pocklington, East Yorks, which is a favorite dog-walking area (14 dogs bitten last year). Back in March came across 7 Male Adders in one area. This has been the only occaision that I have seen the males. I have now only ever seen female Adders...varying in colours from chocolate brown to black.

Last week, paid another visit, and in the first 10 minutes counted 11 female Adders, 3 of which were hatchlings. Largest adult seen was approx 20 - 22 inches.

It has taken me 3 years to find a site like this!!

Just thought you would like to know!

Leigh

Posted a couple of pics of the adders (both male) onto my website.

http://www.leightovey.com

Matt Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2003 at 10:28pm
Leigh,

I live near Rochdale, i normally go to Dorset to conduct my field work. I didn't know Yorkshire had many good adder sites. I would be interested in any additional information that you can give. Certainly in my area no reptiles are present. Although i once read that a BHS member saw 13 grass snakes within the Rochdale district in 1993.

If you could contact me by e-mail at:matt.wilsob02@btopenworld.com i would be very interested to look at the area as i am quite nearby. Not that i doubt you, just that i have not heard of such a population existing within the area. However i am not entirely certain where the area is in Yorkshire.

Do you record common lizard, slow-worm or grass snake in same area? If so it could be a very important area for reptile conservation within the county.

Cheers,

Leigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2003 at 8:38pm

Hi Matt

Just finished completing a map to show you how to get to the area. Will email it to you later (hope file size is small enough!!)

Yes, I have also noted common lizards in the same area as the adders as well as one slow-worm.

Not too sure if this is the normal characterisitic behaviour of adders, but I only seem to find them in pockets in the bracken. Currently approx quarter-mile between two sites.

Apparently, according to other people, Dalby Forest (West of Scarborough) is supposed to have a few adders, but I have been on a few occaisions and haven't seen anything!

Hope you can read my directions ok...when I eventually send them.

Leigh

Leigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2003 at 6:46pm

Hi Tony

Thanks for your input and advice. Carried out a flying visit to the site at dinnertime today and spotted six. One was definitely gravid. Also beginning to identify same snakes with same rodent holes that they seem to be using. Do they tend to stay in the same burrow/hole? Or do they go visiting their neighbours??

Leigh

kayakingdiddle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayakingdiddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 11:55pm
Hi Leigh,

As a third year student, am currently trying to research my honours project, but without much success, as i need to find some local adders populations in my area, which isnt proving easy. I live north of manchester, in bury. Did u say there are some local populations in yorkshire? Can u give me any locations anywhere else, and if so how to get there and find them?

Cheers, Alix.
Leigh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 9:54pm

Hi Alix

I have sorted out some dirctions for you (in jpeg format). If you wish to email me direct (info@leightovey.com) then I shall post them on to you.

Leigh

Photo and Digital Imaging
http://www.leightovey.com
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 10:13pm
hello all

i'm reliably informed that they occur at 'hamsterley forest' in the yorkshire dales, further north

john
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 1:29pm
thanks caleb for that

_just reporting 'as informed' and still chasing the precise 6-fig. OS grid ref. on this one, as it was on a designated cycle route (complete with leaflet)

john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic