the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fire-bellied toad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 10:47pm
I believe what might of happened is they have been pet's which have been released, this is extremely bad, they are not native to Britain and could really damage the eco-system of your pond, my advise is to take them to a local pet shop or basically kill them, there not good for your pond, alternatly you could try and raise them in a tank, if you want any info or help on this then just email me: pauljc_44@msn.com - P.S. they wont survive the winter
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2004 at 11:01pm
Paul, orientalis can survive the winter in the UK and I'm conviced this pair had done so. They have an extensive natural range which includes cooler climes.

The pair originally mentioned are currently living safely and securely in my hall, along with a green toad from the same garden (obviously not in the same vivarium).

I have no doubt someone purposely and successfully introduced a number of non-native species into the area. I no longer live in London, but would be interested to hear if any more alien species or individuals have turned up, as I didnÔÇÖt have the opportunity to establish the extent of the introductions. I doubt removing 3 individuals in anyway adressed the real problem of the non-native amphibians hopping about in Hackney. (by the way they are simply brown B.orientalis)

Edited by administrator
Donny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 10:07pm

Oriental Fire Bellied Toads are found in Korea, North Eastern Russia and North East China...that's Siberian winters we're talking about...I am guessing British winters are fairly mild in comparison!

ROLYTOAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROLYTOAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2005 at 8:54am

I noticed some mention of wild bombina. There is a european fire bellied toad which is indistinguishable from the oriental to me as I have seen brown, olive, green and black variations of these. Whilst not native to the U.K. I spotted them in Ladywell park in london near the river Ravensbourne many years ago and kept them as pets. Also vis a vis brown fire bellies. I have had brown and green and can tell you that individual toads can change their colouration as it has happened to mine occaisionally, although brown ones do stay fairly dark olive when they change.

How I normally tell europeans appart is by listening to their calls.Europeans that I have kept definitely said "mum". Orientals that I have kept had a less clearly consonant start and ending to their note. A sort of honking note.

Below are some pictures of various fire bellies, bare in mind that size and shape vary from toad to toad and are often subject to when they last ate.

European

Yellow belly

Orientalis

Rolytoad "I ain't croaked yet"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic