the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pregnant?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 6:58pm

cheers fellas

@tony - snow in south africa. hmm...might help the british lions. they are gonna ned something!!!

@al - i'm in north north staffordshire...a long way from sunny surrey!

cheers

tim

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 9:43am
Tim I agree,I would have thought the same,infact last year we posted a pic convinced that the adder was pregnant and well fed,only to find out thats a bit of a contradiction in terms.I m really chuffed we have people like Tony here prepared to help us out and I m sure he must enjoy it to.Dont forget who helped me find that first slow worm.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 9:33am
Here's one of six gravid females from a London site; so far the summer weather has been kind and they're coming on nicely, along with lots of very gravid lizards, making food for the young adders to come.  BTW, have you seen the remarkable picture in this month's BBC Wildlife mag sent in by a reader of a male adder apparently eating a neo adder ?  Tony's reply in the mag says it's the first he's heard of this sort of cannibalism in adders.

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 8:14pm

lovely pic as usual will.

spotted this little cutie along with a couple of females in a new part of the woodland today. looks like one of last years. hope it doesn't end up as lunch for an adult!

tim

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 10:28pm
soo cute 
Dave Williams
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 8:10am
Cheers Tim; well spotted - those young ones aren't easy to see !
MickB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 7:06pm

I found these 3 females this morning at a regularly visited site in Flintshire. I suspect all 3 are pregnant, would others agree?

I often find it difficult to tell which animals are pregnant and, like Tony, tend to go more on behaviour. These 3 have stayed put on the hibernation site since emergence.

MickB

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 10:21pm
I ve missed these ladies this summer,dont think I ve seen them since May,Never seen them like this before,really nice picture Mick.
Dave Williams
MickB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:39pm

Tony,

They were on the hibernation area, a small limestone pavement surrounded by scrub and woodland. I see females basking together quite regularly, up to 4 at a time some years. I've been monitoring the site for 5 years using photo ID. Its quite a small, isolated population with only 10-12 adults. Some concern that it may be in decline but I need a few more years data to be certain.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic