the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative management

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative management
    Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 1:39pm

Hi all,

Im currently in deadlock with local habitat management authorities with regards to the management of some local heathland. Here I have used GIS to map hibernacula and surface den sites utilised by three adder sub-populations. Current methods of habitat management is predominantly controlled burning, with additional grazing where necessary. However, I wish to recommend alternative forms of habitat management that will: (a) maintain habitat structure in these key areas; (b) maintain habitat corridors to local summer quarters. Im sure we are all aware of the risks posed to herpetofauna through the use of controlled burning....so any ALTERNATIVE suggestions?

Best

VDK

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:18am
removal of habitat by hand or small machine
Timing of burns
no management
fencing off sensitive areas
placing of brash and other materials to provide shelter
mowing
lower grazing densities

- its about maintaining habitat in favourable condition
rather than protecting every animal

best of luck
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 4:23am
Natural England are (shortly) about to issue a reptile management handbook, which would be an ideal reference for land managers.

I think the best course of action in the short term would be to share your distribution results with the people who manage the site, so at least they are aware of sensitive areas....and you might just get them interested and 'on-side'!
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vanderklam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 5:47pm

Thanks for the info chaps!

Vicar, I am already working in partnership with the local management authorities regarding site management. At present I posess the only data for adders on the AONB itself, which will be distributed to all the relevant parties. Unfortunately the land is privately owned and is merely managed by the AONB rangers, so any habitat management requires the permission of the land owners.  It will be difficult to find the right balance here, as the sites themselves will be inaccessible to machinery, most sites are utilised for recreational activities (cycling / walking / the local hunt) and much of the land is grazed by the land owners. Hopefully the land owners will take note of my recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic