the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dozens of dead toads in one pond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dozens of dead toads in one pond
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 12:10pm

Today i took a trip to my favourite pond, just having a look to see how many toads were there this year and how much spawn there was. On approach to pond i could see a dead toad in the water so i fished it out and had a look. Seemed to have been half eaten or atleast something looked to have had a go at it anyway. Further round the pond i found another two toads both missing rear legs and all around the pond there was more dead toads and all seemed to have suffered the same fate. I counted atleast a dozen bodies that i could see but who knows the real total as the pond is about 4 ft deep and obscured with vegetation. There was not nearly as much spawn as previous years either. I did take photos and will post them later but in the meantime does anybody have any idea what may have done this? It's the first time i've seen anything like it and i'm quite concerned.

Edited by clarkie
herpvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 2:29am
Hi Clarkie,

It sounds more like a predator than disease to me, although it's always possible a disease or other problem is making the toads more susceptible.

It's probably worth looking at the website of/speaking to froglife (www.froglife.org) to see if they are interested in the info and or have any advice.

If you find toads that aren't good prospects for survival in the wild, you could consider getting them to a vet for treatment - wildlife treatment should be free. Your local vets should have someone they would normally refer amphibians to, if they're not happy seeing them themselves.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.
Bruce Maclean, HerpVet (veterinary) Services, Oxford.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:28am

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2009 at 3:28pm

Hi,

if I were you I'd be looking for a terrapin/s. From the symptoms, it sounds most likely.

R

RobV
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 6:38am

If it is a terrapin itÆs a wasteful one. I was in a pet shop a few weeks back and a guy came in asking if theyÆd take his terrapins for free with the case and food for free also and they said no they hadnÆt room, I guess some people may feel the need to leave them in a pond if they donÆt have the heart to murder them when they no longer want them and theyÆve gotten too big.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 7:36pm

Unlikely to be terrapins if the bodies were also scattered around the pond margins on land.

I've seen the same carnage caused by domestic dogs and also by foxes, corvids are also another candidate.

If it was a dog often it is one that is taken to the pond to swim often, the water is usually muddy and  there is a flattened area of vegetation where the dog(s) enter and exist the pond. If no such signs 99% chance it is a native UK predator that is the culprit, I wouldn't rule out the two legged monkey variety either.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 4:47am

If itÆs a woof woof then the owner is bad for letting it hurt toaddies. & if itÆs a person killing toads on purpose then they deserve to be twatted.

WhereÆs the photos Clarkie?!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic