the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early arrival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 4:27pm

Blimey - if UK GCN switch over to a Spanish-style timing of their breeding we herpetologists will have no 'down time' to rest our weary bodies !

Where does this leave the 'winter window' for 'safe' GCN pond works..?  maybe the best time is now late summer / early autumn, when the pond may have nearly dried out and before it refills with winter rain.. 

Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 4:58pm
I guess that rather depends on where you live, and the differences can be quite fine. Even in the same county. October sounds like a good month to me in areas with early breeding.
BB
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 5:02pm
There are also problems with survey times as well. At Dungeness one of my best counts in one pair of ponds (180 newts) was made at the end of January about 4 years ago, and newts appear to be declining in numbers and condition from late April onwards, so the mitigation manual guidance on when to survey does not always hold too well there, unless you have an unusually cold winter like 2008/9.
BB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic