the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unidentified very thin frog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unidentified very thin frog?
    Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 5:59am

I sent these pics in last night via the online reporting form, however I have searched the internet for hours and I have no idea what this is. It was found last night about 6pm in the garden, we have a stone trough which collects water run off from our field and it was sitting in that.

It is quite dark in that area so I had to use flash , the actual colour is a more brownish yellow (just seen it again and in daylight it is more yellowish), it is long and very thin and has none of the normal common frog markings e.g. bands on legs. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Shirl

Edited by shirl
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 7:15am
Hmmm,   still looks like a common frog to me.  Not a very well one though!  Perhaps whatever condition it has (very thin!) is affecting it`s skin/colouration?
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
shirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 7:20am

It doesn't look well, don't think I have ever seen a frog that thin. It is still there this morning, quite close to the base of a tree near the trough  with a "normal" common frog just a few inches away. There is plenty of food in our garden in terms of insects and loads of slugs, so it has plenty to eat, it's a completely organic garden so it shouldn't be at risk from nasty things. Will keep an eye on it although not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for the reply

Shirl

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 3:47am

Shirl, Hi,

whatever it is, you could always try buying a small box of house crickets from a reptile shop and feeding him/her up a bit.

R

RobV
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 4:24am
Hi Robert, good suggestion

When we lived at our old house we reguarly fed the frogs by our pond and I often dealt with frogs in similar condition.
Rather than crickets buy a tub of wax-worms, these will add bulk to the frog much faster and they love them.
With extremely emaciated frogs like your one Shirl', I would get a very fine insulin needle and syringe and inject 10th of 1ml of liquid panacur into the waxworm to tidy up any parasites that might be causing the problem.

Prepare your wax-worm with panacur and start feeding the frog, once it has taken two or three throw it the injected worm and it should snap it up.

Good luck,
Al
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 4:26am
Oh and, if this works repeat the dose 10-14 days later
O-> O+>
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 7:34am
Poor skinny thing.
shirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 8:27am

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions, let's hope we can get it back to a reasonable size.

Shirl

Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 5:02am
Shirl, any update on the frog?
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
shirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 10:46am

Hi Dave

A couple of days after the post it "disappeared", I keep checking but haven't seen it since. Haven't seen a body either so hopefully that might be good news. Will keep my eyes open, there is plenty of food for frogs in the garden, so I am hopeful it was able to survive.

Shirl

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic