the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizard - Alien Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrazello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 9:51pm

Originally posted by David Bird David Bird wrote:

I should think that most people who have travelled around Europe would agree that the Wall Lizard is one of the lizards that does not need European protection status as it is so widespread and so numerous in most of its range. I believe it was put on because it was rare in the north west of its range, edge of range so expected, and at the time the people who were responsible for putting species forward were based in the north west of Europe and trying to get them protected when their own governments were not listening.
Some species Podarcis siculus were also added as they had subspecies which lived on very small islands with very little area and were an isolated population whereas the widespread Podarcis siculus campestriswas and still is extending its range and is threatening endemic species and subspecies of Podarcis siculus where it has been released or accidentally introduced.

Thanks for all this useful information and THANKS to all the forum for the input. It is appreciated.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 3:35am
The Herpetological Conservation Trust and the British Herpetological Society Joint Scientific Meeting:
Amphibian and reptile biology, ecology and conservation
Sunday 9 December 2007, 0930-1700
Lecture Hall, Bournemouth Natural Science Society,
39 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth

1230-1255 Simon Mole - The impact of introduced Lacertids on the native herpetofauna of Boscombe
Cliffs, Bournemouth
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 11:03am

That was an interesting talk which showed where the walls and greens were found in relation to viviparous lizards over one season - it did not show the impacts of each species on the native species - just the results of the survey which needs further investigation into all the factors which would be influencing the distribution of each of the species on the cliff.

J

Edited by herpetologic2
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 2:27pm

What was interesting when I went to Portland to look for the wall lizards I passed an interpretation board that showed the common lizard, but not the walls, and almost within sight of the board came upon loads of wall lizards. Never saw a common lizard the whole time I was there and walked round the coast/cliff edge.

Suz
Ray999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 8:10am

When I was there spring 2006 I saw nothing but Common lizards and a few slow worms I spent most of my time around the prison and down the left hand side .

Ray 

ray999
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 12:01pm
Just shows Ray that species sightings can vary so much. I did notice the walls were confined to a very small area.
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic