the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Ash Berus (Habitat pic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Ash Berus (Habitat pic)
    Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 4:05pm

I returned to my Ash spot today and I've found another population of berus ,along with natrix. This spot has many ditches  full of cut down logs  and this is where I found two natrix. Does this area look likely for a hibernaculum?

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 4:21pm

Hi Tony , 

It is sparse , you're quite right, and only a very small population. But it did have adders! More common Lizards though.

I wanted to get habitat pics of the good areas I mentioned , but couldn't for reasons I've said in a PM to you.

Cheers,

Alan

-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 5:01pm

There's a hibernaculum I know in Lincolnshire that looks like this (with more heather). Theres a lot of rabbit burrows there so I assume that's what they're using.

Cheers, Lee.

Lee Fairclough
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 8:06pm

Hi Tony, Lee ,

Thanks for the thoughts, and Tony..no worries on the sarcasm, Oiy loikes a chuckle meself

Just been back to the spot again and took a pic of the heather patches with gravid berus surrounded by grass.

You can see what I mean by Dog walkers strolling close by and letting their dogs bound in. On the other side of the heather is another footpath ,and the woods behind has a bare floor covered in pine needles.

BTW , while walking in the heather this evening I saw 4  C.d. defecatus!

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 9:59pm

Hi Tony,

Yup, It has been mown . If you look at the pic' again ,where it appears as though the footpath ends is where it turns to mown grass.

The adders are on the right of the picture in the heathers.

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 10:12pm

Here's a shot from the actual spot where 2 gravid berus were found. The snakes were lying right of the young pine tree , and here you can see that the heather turns to grass .

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic