the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tony Advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tony Advice!
    Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 12:24pm

Tony,

I've been thinking more about the winter management at the pond and the difficulty of surveying the site, couple of questions,

How effective are tins with Adders? I know they are effective for Smooth snakes and Slow-worms but would they produce good results for adders at an awkward site? I'm going to see later in the week if field glasses and finding a vantage point works, the trouble is with the bracken piles that the snakes can be at any level, either on the floor or on top of the piles, or using features, which seems to lead to the slightest movement disturbing them.

Secondly, given that winter management is carried out at the pond, what would be the most useful records for the area in terms of seeing how the extension to the habitat effects the populations of adders and grass snakes and the success of the work?

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2003 at 2:25pm

Thanks Tony, that gives me a lot more direction of what to do next. A few tins down sounds like the way forward as fortunately the site is relatively secluded. I'm just begining to get to know who's who at the moment, it seems that favoured basking sites are all in a very small area, given the choice available.

Let me know if your Surrey way and have the time, as your advice at the site of how to continue getting records would be invaluable.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic