the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More of my missing Adders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 12:21pm

Thanks! Sounds just like a Tawny owl. Barn owls look quite eerily pale and ghostly in flight - used to see them daily in the fields behing our house in Lincs (1980's) but haven't seen one there for years now .Tawny's seem to be doing alright in most places now though (I tend to see a lot MORE of these than I used to!).

Alan, I currently shoot on an EOS 3 and an EOS D60. The Owls were shot on the D60.  My normal wildlife lenses are; a 70-200mm 2.8 which has quite close focus and an image stabiliser (great when your drunk) This gets used a lot for In Situ reptiles that I dont want to disturb. Occasionally I'll use a small extension tube with it for really small stuff. I then have a 300mm 2.8 which does the bulk of my telephoto work (sometimes with a 2x convertor).  However, for proper herp shots I always end up reaching for the 100mm macro - you just can't beat getting up close and personal. Finally, I'd say that for 90% of the stuff I shoot these days I use a flash for fill in.

I probably shoot far too little film these days but digital is SO much cheaper!

Cheers, Lee.

Lee Fairclough
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 2:28pm

Lee- cheers. I'm saving and searching on ebay for these sort of accesories. I have some close up filters but that's about it at the mo' . The lens i'm after cost ú700 , and the flash ú400!  I have the Olympus E20, and they pretty much have it sewn up so you can only use their lenses etc.

I've never used film cameras as I came in late on the photography thing , but can certainly understand how dig' works out cheaper.

Caleb- Yup, I know what you mean , I'm often surprised at finding snakes in odd places. One of the most odd  was back in the early 90's . I was walking round Brookwood cemetery with my wife when I noticed this headstone . It was a family grave ,and the reason it caught my eye was the name ,'Bowie'. I've always loved the music/lyrics of D.Bowie so I stopped to read it. Then I noticed a lovely chunky Male v.berus coiled up right at the bottom of the headstone in the centre .   It would've made a great pic but, wasn't into photography then unfortunately .

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic