the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass snake 2007 how about change of name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 10:25am

Hi Keith

Lovely photo of the snake in the water, I am trying to get a photo of a grass snake in the water cress beds near my home in Alresford, Near Winchester.

I have found the overwintering site of approx 5 individual snakes a small block of woodland within farmland - I found snakes last year along the River Alre - though the water cress farmers saw large adult snakes in the water cress beds when I werent there....

The grass snake name may also come about for similar reasons for the Common Grass Frog - both live in wet water meadows hence the word 'grass' though the wetlands have been much reduced so of course water ways such as canals, riversm streams and ponds become the main attraction for grass snakes.....

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 2:44pm

Hi all,

here's one in the water at Holyfields....or is it two!?

R

RobV
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 4:20pm

Yeah thats right I had a really nice female grass snake in Ropley located within a compost heap

I have been finding some nice females over the last few days within a small piece of woodland approx 1.2km away from where I was finding these snakes last summer.

I am investigating the use of hedgerows for overwintering and corridors between their hibernation, egg laying sites and foraging areas -

I am photo identifying animals and marking their locations with GPS tracking my survey routes with the GPS track system etc - so far no snakes have been found within hedgerows but have been found within woodland areas.......

A lot to do

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 1:55am
hi Jon hope you manage to get a shot one in the cress if not a bit of cheap water cress could sustitute. your luckey to live near chalk streams with abundant trout  and grayling not forgetting the nats   keith 
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2007 at 1:58am
hi Rob great shot  I think youve found a rare double header could put you in the  British herp rare capture list here is my same water snake          coming  ashore keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic