the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Captive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtKeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captive?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 3:14pm
I'm wondering whether it's possible to keep these newts in a tank in the house as pets or is that a silly idea?

Please let me know all your views as i dont have any information about keeping these indoor thanks in advance
martin g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 3:38pm

As a kid I kept newts in a fish tank, shallow water with moss banks, they semed fine, I fed them small worms which they seemed to enjoy.  I maybe wouldnt do it now, back then I didnt appreciate that they needed to leave the water after breeding so i kept them longer than I should have.  But, that said they were fine. Perhaps a larger tank with raised areas out of the water, but to be fair, they dont do much to be very interesting.

These days I prefer them in the pond, I can go out at night and watch them by torchlight in the shallows.

NewtKeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtKeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 3:52pm
Appreciate that mate, what kind of worms where they?
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2007 at 6:11am

Hi newt keeper

there is no need to keep the newts indoors as you can hopefully attract them to your garden by putting in a small pond

My dad has newts in small tanks in his shed where he breeds up some of them over the spring and then releases them back into the garden ponds once they have laid their eggs on vegetation.

He feeds the larva on blood worm, daphina etc and they metamorphose into efts and he then releases them into the garden

He only has a few pairs at a time while the majority of the animals are left to roam in his garden

I suggest that going out looking for newts during the night with a torch and then watching them within a well constructed pond is the way to go......

JC 

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
martin g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2007 at 5:05pm
Small earthworms for the adults, they really like small tadpoles, but, I couldnt bring myself to offer them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic