the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

day at halewood park - frog identificat..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 6:49pm

Can we pinch the piccy Mark for the ID pages?

How do you think it would be best to use it Suzi, would it need to be linked in somehow with the ID pages? Or maybe just a single new page like a small feature on the site, 'is it a frog or is it a toad'?

There is a page on the KRAG site I did a couple of years ago

http://www.kentarg.org/species_identification.htm

I like this format as it gives the main differences between each of the species that are sometimes difficult to distinguish.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2007 at 7:23pm

I like your KRAG page but as a quick guide I think photos alone are handy. Some people just turn off when they see any text beyond the caption! Perhaps a photo ID section with a flag towards "Still not sure...see the ID pages" or something like that.

Some of the photos on this site are just so excellent it always seems a shame they get buried and are often difficult to re-find. Also many of us go off-topic in a thread and it might start off on slow worms and end up with adders. Then if adder pix have been included it is nigh on impossible to find them.

As I say I don't want more work for you. What do others think?

Suz
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 5:08am
Gem,
      You can 'pinch' the piccy if you want.

Mark
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 7:31am
i agree with you.when looking at a post recently it started with adders or something and there was pics of CL TOO.

i am going to go and get like a bucket and fill it with water today to attract frogs and toads as i know there in the garden as it is,so will it be am good idea to put roks by it a rockery.how can i try to keep them in the garde,i would like to go out in the night and see them in the garden and by the water etc.there wont be a lot of it.any ideas.

http://ukreptiles.proboards55.com
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 12:39pm

Ta for permission to pinch the piccy Mark.

OK, I'm still not sure how can best do this, do we just need a page with a caption at the top and then various photographs on the page of a single species for people to look at, or do we need a comparision page? Trouble is it is all too obvious to me which they are, so I have trouble with this, I know we visited this topic a couple of years ago and one suggestion was that black and white photographs are better for ID as people do not then make assumptions based on colouration alone.

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2007 at 1:42pm

Credit also to the Alresford Toad Patrol on the ID photos......Mark is a member of the patrol http://alresfordtoadpatrol.blogspot.com I will be out tonight and if anyone is around then please get in contact 

Regards

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic