the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Photography
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Trip to Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Trip to Texas
    Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 11:28am

This last couple of weeks me and the missus have been visiting family and friends in the old u-ess, so have been filling our free time searching for funky lil critters to take pictures of. I've still got a day or two left but the weather has finally turned for the worse so this may probably be the full list... Alas, no rattlers!  

Pictures by myself or my other half, Alison.

Green Anole, Anolis carolinensis. Ubiquitous here on the coast and my first find.

Turkish Gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus. A familiar species for Europeans but also widespread over here. Not native, obviously.

Ground Skink, Scincella lateralis.

Texas Spiny Lizard, Sceloporus olivaceus.

Crevice Spiny Lizard, Sceloporus poinsettii.

Gulf Ribbon Snake, Thamnophis proximus orarius.

Rough Earth Snake, Virginia striatula.

Southern Copperhead, Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix.

Mississipi Green Watersnake, Nerodia cyclopion.

Red Eared Slider, Trachemys scripta.

Ornate Box Turtle, Terrapene ornata ornata.

Rio Grande Chirping Frog, Syrrhophus cystignathoides.

Gulf Coast Toad, Bufo valliceps.

Then there were the ones that got away... all in all, Texas is well worth a visit!

Lee.

Lee Fairclough
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 4:19am
Hi Lee,
nice pics mate. shame no crots though. Have you been out at night with the torch?

O-> O+>
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 11:34am
Sounds like a great trip. I can't see any pictures though.
Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 12:55pm

Did you give plenty of time for them to load Suzi? There are quite a few so it might take a while for them display.

It's worth the wait

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 5:26pm
I've waited and waited but just get the list of species with a few lines of space between. Anyone else getting this? Gemma don't go to any trouble over this if it is just me. I'm green with envy just reading the list. Pictures might be too much!
Suz
mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 5:51pm

I've got pictures, but they do take a short time to load - great pictures too.

Did you visit Big Bend Lee? I found that a great place for herps, including some Rattlers, in Spring, about 20 years ago though!

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Brown
Merseyside ARG
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 3:36pm

Hmmm, yeah - something funny going on with our server. Trying to sort it.

All the pics were taken around the Galveston bay area except for the two Sceloporus, which were fom Enchanted Rock natural area, in the hill country.

Unfortunately I didn't get to do any night searches in the more remote areas, although we did a lot of night driving during which we saw no live snakes. In fact, the only DOR we encountered was a well baked Thamnophis. Presumably it being November had a large bearing on this, although it was 75-80 most days so perfectly pleasant, T-Shirt warm most nights, too.

So, it looks like I'll have to go back at the next available opportunity as I still want to find corals, cottonmouths (everyone I met out there pointed me in the direction of a local pond or river where I'd guarenteed see dozens, but no joy!), rattlers and horned toads. Heck, there's 74 species of snake alone in Texas, I may try to emigrate.

In the meantime I'm back in the UK and to add insult to injury I have to spend the weekend in Mablethorpe!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Oh, and finally, the ones that got away...

Texas Whipsanke, Masticophis taeniatus girardi.

Five-lined Skink, Eumeces fasciatus.

Brown Anole, Anolois sagrei, another introduced species found all over a man made complex in Galveston while sans camera.

Large Rana frog - they jumped like Carl Lewis so didn't get close enough to see one very well, let alone catch one.

River Cooter (common or texas), Pseudemys concinna or P. texana - it didn't hang around long enough for me to get a shot and found in a locale that could hold either.

Regards, Lee.

Edited by -LAF
Lee Fairclough
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 5:31pm
Thanks - all the pix are there now and loaded with the page. Well there are two red crosses in boxes so maybe a couple missing but what a wonderful selection. Lucky you.
Suz
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2006 at 6:52am

Now at noon on Friday all pix are there instantly!

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic