the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any advise guys on what GPS to go for

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2006 at 4:28am
Garmins work ok, Argos has a couple for around ú100
there are a couple of points to remember.

The accuracy of the GPS position depends on the satelite signal, and could range from 6-40 metre radius of where you are.

Generally the more satelites the GPS looks for the greater the accuracy, but a clear unobstructed view of the sky helps considerably (i.e. cloud & trees = bad)

When locating a previously marked point the GPS may change its mind which direction to head in.

This is because it has to know which direction you are heading in to determine which way to go.

to solve this just walk in one direction for about 20meters and it will sort itself out.

In other words, dont expect it to tell you which way to a certain 'waypoint' if you're standing still, it only works when you're moving.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2006 at 8:16am

Garmin 12 is pretty accurate. I usually get between 3.5 and 7m accuracy in the field - good enough that I can find cover objects using it even when they are at high density and also produce location maps that are really useful. Good for me as I have a mermory like a sieve.

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:06am
On a related note, what GIS do people use for plotting results of surveys? I use MapInfo Pro. at work, but it's too expensive for the group to afford. We just need something that'll display raster and vector layers, and allow us to plot herp and habitat data.
Local Authority Ecologist
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:31am

http://www.mapmaker.com/index.asp

useable free GIS, bit quirky on Windows 2000 and XP though

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic