the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sad stuff folks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 11:52pm
David, reassuring isn't it. I did originally cut and paste their policies to the thread, but removed it and just left the link on grounds of good taste.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 11:48am

Very well Said David , that just about sums it up really.

Now , a new day, clear head. I feel I must comment on my earlier post up there regarding the halfwit that clubbed a common lizard in my presence.

Just want to clear this up , I can be very passionate and intense about the abuse of wildlife , and indeed my wife often has to pull me back to reality quite often once these things grab hold.

She'll say things like , "You've gotta let it go 'cause you're letting it get to you to much" , she's right. Today , at this wiser age , and who i am now , I am not proud of how i dealt with that situation.

Woke up this morning , regretting what I'd posted and had to clarify.

Alan

Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 11:59am

Alan

I am led to believe that Dr Rob McGibbon of the Surrey Heathland project is the man in charge of this project.

Pirbright Parish Council is also involved.

Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 2:23pm

Thanks for your help Mervyn, everyone.

Here's a link to check out.http://www.countryside-management.org.uk/heathland/

Alan

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 3:55pm
Alan, regards the lizard, My brother in-law is over 6ft, and used to be a tree surgeon, so quite well built, very placid man. I only saw him lose his temper once, on Hindhead Common. It went something like this, little boy to father, oh look daddy a snake! Father to child, out of the way son - thud. A few seconds later there was a second thud as Pete laid the guy out for killing a Slow-worm. It happens.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 4:09pm

Gemma, thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone .

I have sent an email to Rob McGibbon, and will let everyone know when he replies.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 7:26pm
################
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 8:03pm

Tony,

My favourite sites are like this in Surrey. Shame that localised infilling of ponds by the birch isn't on the priority list, whilst it appears destroying swathes of the habitat is.

I would be happy to put up a page on the main website written in article form, with assistance from David and yourself or anyone else that can help, highlighting this trend in management, the likelihood that it is unlawful (with references to the relevant legislation), papers and publications opposing such techniques and the alternatives and who should be informed when such projects are planned.

I have no doubt that in this case that it was well known that Adders were in the area by those involved - it deeply saddens me.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2003 at 9:28pm

I totally agree Tony, and fear for areas in Surrey I've known and loved for the last 20 years. There are conifers, these are left, whilst the birch and bracken is needlessly removed. It needs subtle careful management not destruction. I've no doubt that some of the rarer species live in the heather covered hill sides on the sites I speak of, they are of little interest as I am not licensed to observe them, I'm straight to the bracken and birch to be close to the species I love the most.

I think that a new section for the main website, outside the forum highlighting these issues would be of worth, many of those interested in conservation assume things are in safe hands.. I have had my eyes opened in more ways than one recently.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic