the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown-covered spawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown-covered spawn
    Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 5:15am

In a reed-filled pond in the open field near the office where I work in Durham City (UK) there's some bundles of fresh-looking, clear frogspawn whose nuclei are still spherical, about 1mm across, and the cells about 8mm, clumped closely together.

But there's also some older-looking spawn on the other side of the pond, whose cells are about the same size but not so tightly bound in their clump and whose surface is covered with a mud-coloured film - almost like a mould. I can't see the nuclei within at all clearly.

Is this some from last year that never developed, or from a different species, or has it been attacked by something?

Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 5:41am

Spud,

The frogspawn isn't of a different species.

Some of the frogspawn near where I live in west Cumbria (nuclei about 3mm across, with small tails) has the brown stuff on it, and some of it at the edges has detached and sunk to the bottom of the pond.

I think it's just pond-type-weed or alge growing on them, but for what it's worth, I dont think it'll develop properly when it's coverd in the stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic