the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st grassie of 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2006 at 10:25am

Hi all,

Here is some of the gang of Natrix caught at Wintry Wood last week. As I mentioned, they are all in the process of slough. Out of the nine I checked, four were at milky eye stage and two were about to shed. a lot of discarded casts were around about.

Given that two thirds of those caught were in that condition, one might suspect (even conclude!) that the shedding process is not related to an individuals growth, so much, as a generic species response to seasonal changes or even weather patterns. It is highly unlikely that given the numbers, this could be just coincidence.

Cheers

Robert

Edited by GemmaJF
RobV
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2006 at 11:09am

Hi Rob, I wonder how much the hot weather followed by rain had to do with the synchronised sloughing? I've been seeing Nn in slough all week under ACOs.

PS we seem to have some hatchling grassies in the garden (our compost heap has been a success at last I guess!) have to see if I can get some piccies of the sub-caudal scales for you

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 11:58am

Gemma,

thanks, that would be great if you could let me have those. If you can't get good pics, perhaps you could work out how many males/females there were in the total you collect.

thanks again.

Robert

RobV
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 12:37pm
Will do Rob if I have time to catch up with them between wizzing around the countryside. Kinda nice on a day off to find baby lizards and hatchling snakes in the garden though, all doing OK without me needing to do anything. Certainly a win for simple habitat creation. We have at least two broods of lizards, the size difference is amazing between those born a few weeks ago and the latest arrivals. I didn't even know we had two gravid females around
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 12:03pm

Gemma,

it must feel good to have created the right conditions for the snakes and lizards to breed in your garden! Wow, imagine if ten thousand people could do that across the UK and what a difference that would make to herp pops . Mind you, the frogs etc might take a bashing.

I'm taking my 'tins' down near to the egg laying sites tomorrow. I hope its not too late. Ive used the corr bitu sheets that you suggested and have painted one of the four green to see if it makes a difference to the numbers found under. If not, I'll paint them all, as i think the tins will need abit of camouflage against too many prying eyes/over eager interest from gen pub. i'll let you know how it goes.

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic