the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get/find?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get/find?
    Posted: 06 Dec 2005 at 3:55pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows where to find common frogs. [except ponds]. Is it possible to sell them? [Im not interested in selling, just like the frogs really...]

If so then tell me where/who to buy them [or the spawn] from.

sophi- ...I meen boocat

I keep Giant african land snails, cats, freshwater snails and hopefully a slow worm.
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2005 at 8:10pm
boocat.  With respect, you're once again enquiring about possibly buying &/or selling our native herptiles when this is essentially a conservation site for them, not E-Bay! Here, most of us like to get out in to the nooks & crannies of the wilds & go make an effort for ourselves to watch, maybe photograph, & generally just study our herptiles, or we like to try & tempt them to naturally come to our gardens. I'd suggest you try the same efforts next spring...'Till then, more or less all our herp's will be hibernating now. Without a fair deal of experience, practically none of our native herp's make ideal, captive house pets. Unless you've got one already, why not build a pond for yourself? You'll eventually probably get amphibians, such as frogs, taking up residency in it. Also, try contacting your county, or local wildlife conservation group/s who're bound to know places to direct you to next spring where you'll probably be able to see frogs.  
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 1:53am
Originally posted by boocat boocat wrote:

Is it possible to sell them?

The same restrictions apply to native amphibians that apply to native reptiles. It is an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to collect for sale, offer for sale or have in possession for sale a common frog without a license.

They make probably one of the worst captive animals of all time. Being nervous they will jump at the glass of an aquarium every time they are disturbed. This usually results in injuries to their snouts and a very stressed animal.

Much better to follow Mick's advice, do you have a garden Sophi?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic